A knife attack that wounded two people and two left injured in Paris on Friday near the site of the former Charlie Hebdo’s office the scene of a 2015 terrorist attack targeting the satirical newspaper that is now the focus of a criminal trial.
A primary suspect was arrested a short time later. Gerald Darmanin, the French interior minister, said Friday evening that the two suspects have been arrested in connection to the attack. Sources told Reuters that one of the suspects believed to be an 18-year-old Pakistani while the other is said to be Algerian, they had not been previously identified by the authorities as a possible extremist. But he called the attack an “act of Islamist terrorism” because of its location in front of the building where Charlie Hebdo had its offices at the time of the January 2015 attack that left 12 dead and because of the nature of the assault, against random bystanders. French prosecutors have opened a terrorism investigation.
The evidence was not provided by the authorities of a link to the past attack, however, or say if the suspect had any affiliation with a terrorist group. Mr. Castex said the victim’s lives were not in danger, They were employees of Premières Lignes, a documentary production company, which is the door next to the former Charlie Hebdo’s office. Some of its employees were the first witnesses to the January 2015 attack.