On Monday night, 7th September, China claimed Indian soldiers fired warning shots in a new confrontation at the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh near the southern bank of Pangong Tso lake. A spokesperson of the People’s Liberation Army said, “The Chinese border guards were forced to take countermeasures to stabilize the situation”. However, there has been no response from the Indian government so far. The accusation was made in a statement issued just after midnight in Beijing by Colonel Zhang Shuili.
The latest upturn came just two days after the Indian and Chinese defense minister met in Moscow on September 5 to try and end the deadlock. This was the first high-level direct meeting between the sides since the impasse broke out in the Ladakh region four months ago.
According to China’s statement, Indian Army troops apparently crossed the Line of Control near the western sector into the Shenpao mountain region near the south bank of Pangong Tso lake on Monday. Spokesperson of China’s Western Theatre Command, Colonel Zhang Shuili claimed that Indian soldiers “outrageously fired warning shots on Chinese border patrol soldiers who had made representations”.
China claimed that Indian actions had ‘seriously violated related agreements reached by both sides, stirred up tensions in the region, and easily caused misunderstandings and misjudgments’. “They are serious military provocations and are of very bad nature,” the statement said.
Tensions between India and China first erupted in early May between the two sides, but the situation flared up dramatically in June when Indian and Chinese troops got into a violent stand-off in the Galway Valley of Ladakh on June 15, leaving 20 Indian soldiers dead and 76 wounded. China did not acknowledge any casualties.